Tuesday, August 10, 2004

What a difference a year makes...

Despite all of the many life-changing things that have occurred in the past 12 months, I still feel like I'm in a transition stage. Our small group talked about how young adult life is defined by transition, as we are often changing our interests, careers, community, etc. Then again, this earthly life is like that, isn't it? In the big scheme of things, we are never really settled here, because there is more to look forward to, more to move on to, higher goals to aspire to than worldly ones. Nevertheless, through all of the instability in life, God is our solid rock, and He is oh so faithful.

Exactly one year ago, I was unemployed, and it was in this week that I had been planning to move home. I looked for housing for a couple of months in the Berkeley area with a high school friend but finally decided that I couldn't stay up here since I didn't have a job and didn't have money. The summer had been fun (swimming, ice skating, not much else to do but the job search), yet also stressful and worrisome because I didn't like facing my unknown future. Many things were up in the air - housing, spiritual community, job, friends...

By the end of the summer, I had finally realized that I had been tightly holding on to my own desire to stay in the bay area and had been unwilling to release my future to God. I thought I knew what I wanted and what was best for me and didn't let Him take control. It wasn't until this realization hit me, though, that I knew what to do. As much as it pained me to do so, I had prepared to move home. Somehow, there was peace when I made this decision, when I finally surrendered to Him.

Little did I know that He had other plans for me. Less than a week later, I suddenly got 3 interviews in a week. Things started looking up. It was confusing, too, because after all, these were just interviews, and the prospect of a job offer was still uncertain. The week before I was set to go back to LA, I found out about a great housing opportunity in Alameda with Christian roommates. Even though my interviews were in SF, Palo Alto, and Oakland, I couldn't help but think that perhaps, just perhaps, God wanted me up here too. I still remember how I had been anxiously awaiting news about the Alameda house while we were on our LSF Friday Monterey trip, and I was so happy that they picked me! Even so, it was hard to plunk down roots, with a one-year contract, too, and to not know if I'd have to be commuting really far because everything was so uncertain. I accepted the job offer in Oakland (with a less than 15-minute commute) a couple of days after I had moved into the house.

Jeanne even threw me a goodbye party at her place :) (before all of this other stuff happened)

What can I say... God does provide so abundantly, and He really does desire for us to be happy. I didn't see it in the middle of the summer, but I had been stubborn about staying up here, and it was all about what I wanted, not where God wanted me. I am still amazed by His goodness. I learned that being content meant being in God's will, even if it wasn't necessarily aligned with what I wanted.

Friends also gave me some awesome prayer support.

After seeing so many apartments around Berkeley and Oakland, I was blessed with a big, clean house in Alameda, a city I've grown to really love. Those who know me can attest to that fact; I've taken pictures at the beach at least 5 times now, I love exploring the island on my bike or running, checking out the cute houses, taking in the ocean/SF/bay view, walking to the nearby library or grocery store, and the location is great. Plus, my roommates have become good friends, too. And Aza, still miss you!

The transition into the workforce has been pretty smooth too, since I am still so close to Berkeley! It's so nice to be near familiar surroundings, since I lived here for the past 4 years and wasn't familiar with anything outside of Berkeley. Actually, next week, it's time to be weaned away from the campus area, but our office move comes at a good time. Also, LSF Friday really welcomed me in, and the continuity of staying at CFC has been good.

God is good. All the time.

No comments: