says this (biblegateway.com, NIV):
14Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. 15Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn. 16Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position.[3] Do not be conceited.
17Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody. 18If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. 19Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: "It is mine to avenge; I will repay,"[4] says the Lord. 20On the contrary:
"If your enemy is hungry, feed him;
if he is thirsty, give him something to drink.
In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head."[5] 21Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.
This is so hard to do. Just this afternoon, someone accused me of being lazy... and I had just read this passage last night, so it was fresh in my mind. The comment made me angry at the injustice of her accusation, and even moreso because she and others can be quite unproductive, and all they can do is hypocritically put down others around them, others who are working hard. I kept thinking - I can either lash back and say something mean (revenge), proving that she is wrong, or I can try to turn the other cheek. It's hard to believe that keeping silent will "heap burning coals on his/her head." I was thinking... will she think I'm totally weaksauce for not having a comeback, and seemingly accepting what she said as true? I have to believe that revenge is God's work and that I am to live at peace with everyone. This means I just silently take it. I'm thankful I studied this passage last night, though... just in time to be prepared for today.
No comments:
Post a Comment