During my quiet time last night, I think God was opening my eyes to the many material possessions I have. I own many more things than I need. For instance, I currently have about 4 fully functioning comforters for my bed, including one summer quilt, one new purple one I bought a year ago, and one really old one that I was able to salvage because I needed bedding for our recent SD/LV road trip. That one’s been reduced to almost a mere blanket after the last 15 years or so, but it has sentimental value – it's covered with cute little colorful teddy bears that remind me of my childhood. There used to be a bear head on the pillow case so it looked like the bear was sleeping in my bed. I also have a quilt made by my Dad’s friend and an electric blanket I’ve had since sophomore year. I still remember those freezing cold Berkeley mornings when I couldn’t sleep because of the cold, before I bought that electric blanket. Ever since moving to Alameda, I haven’t needed to use it since we now have central heating. :) For Christmas, my sister gave me a nice quilt, but the first thing I thought was, “oh no, I can’t bring it with me to China!” This means it’ll have to sit at home and wait some years until I come back. I tend to have this mentality with all new things now, so that’s why I asked my family not to give me anything this year for Christmas.
Today, I had lunch with some good friends at the yummy Sushi House (complete with a yummy Lion King). It was the first time I went and saw empty tables! We arrived just after they opened at 11am, so that’s the key. :) Anyway, one person mentioned that after lunch she was heading to a store to buy an electric blanket (she’s still a college student living in those freezing Berkeley apartments). I thought, hmmm, I could offer her my electric blanket, since I don’t need it anymore… but wasn’t sure if she’d want it since it’s old. She did want it, and I’m happy that we were able to save her about $50! :) So, yes, God works in amazing and funny ways. Just last night, I was thinking about all this bedding that I am so blessed to have, and then today, a chance to share it with someone in need! :) Yay for God and His perfect timing.
No comments:
Post a Comment