Today I got the big package in the mail from ESI. It’s a doozy. In it, some eye-opening and interesting things… many things, in fact. There is much to do before I go! Lots of medical appointments to make, passport/Visa stuff to do, packing, moving and settling accounts here, spiritual preparation and support raising. It will be a faith-building next few months for me. I have to believe that if God wants me there, He will provide. He will make a way. There is also a packet about China. Some interesting things I saw:
· “People in China wear the same clothes for 2-3 days.” So, I’m not supposed to be needing too many clothes. Really?
· If you wear size 9 or larger shoes, plan on bringing all of your footwear because you will not find shoes of that size in China (good thing I wear 8). They only have the American equivalent to size small in underpants.
· A packing list including – 2 pairs of pants, 3 nice shirts, 3 pairs of shoes… etc. This is like 10% of my closet. I knew this was going to happen! I’m glad I tried to stop buying more clothes since last fall, but the idea of packing my wardrobe into 2 suitcases is pretty daunting. Most of it will have to stay. L
· Prepare yourself for different/exotic/interesting types of foods.
· Pack for both summer and winter.
· Bring 2 gifts for your Academic Supervisors. China is big on gift-giving.
· Most transactions use cash, so I’ll have to figure out how to stash my cash in various places after I am paid and bring lots of cash around with me. No credit card?! :O
· It’s cheaper to ask your friends/family to call you from the US than for you to call them.
· Email and mail packages are often opened and scanned. Snail mail addressed in Chinese will travel a lot faster.
No comments:
Post a Comment