Monday, September 06, 2004
Lost in Translation.
Yesterday, I went to the Chinese service for the first time. It was our new youth minister's first Sunday, and I wanted to hear his message (which would be in English, translated to Chinese). For the rest of the service, though, I pretty much only caught pronouns... through the testimony, baptism, prayer, announcements, offering, etc. At least they used the FECG bilingual hymnal, and I could sing along in English to the worship songs. It's interesting that the Chinese side is composed of probably 2/3 seniors, with the rest being middle-aged people. It's the complete opposite of our English congregation, which is almost completely college and youth. Overall, I got the feeling through their more formal service that they were a very disciplined group with strong faith in God. I also felt welcomed in, since most people there obviously could tell I wasn't a usual attendee and may have been able to tell that I didn't know Chinese. In a way, I think I could see how we as a Body of believers are united - that where we maybe be lacking, the Chinese side has strong giftings in, and vice versa. Though we are different, we both need eachother. And, I saw that Silvia is our only English-side deacon (out of like 6 or 7), and the only female on the board! Go Silvia! I'm also appreciative of my retreat coordinating experience, so I now know some people from the Chinese side. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment