Monday, September 27, 2004

treasures

Loved ones were robbed (couldn't think of a more tactful way to put it). It's the kind of news that makes you feel like you got socked in the stomach and got the air knocked out of you. Plus, the day was all gray, sun didn't want to peep out from behind the clouds, and it is COLD (busted out the winter quilts). Fall is here. :( The weather affects my mood too much.

This verse came to mind (which I came across 2 days ago in QT's...):
"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where theives break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." (Matt. 6:19-21)

It got me thinking about what I would miss the most if it had happened to me. Or, what do I have of value that they would take? My computer is old, my camera not too fancy, no PDA, no fine jewelry... I remember we used to have that icebreaker question, "what is your most valued possession?" and I could never think of one thing that I would really miss that much, like the one thing I would take out of my room if there were a fire (a pet of course, if I had one). As for valuable things, the bass amp came to mind, but even that's not too expensive in the grand scheme of things. Even with the pain and devastation of loss, I guess it's good that situations like these cause us to reevaluate what we have and where our treasures lie. I would like to live the kind of life where I invest in people instead of things. I want to be able to pick up and go, if I were called to, without being too attached to material possesions. I need to keep an eternal perspective when spending my money on things and consider who they will benefit; just me, or others too? We are all susceptible to theivery and other evils, but the things that matter the most of all cannot be stolen from us.

No comments: